The summer has rolled around super fast this year, I cannot believe that we are almost at the end of June already! A whirlwind trip to Australia at Easter for my best mate’s wedding was soon forgotten as I arrived back home to a backlog of college assignments and demanding work hours at my part time job to pay the bills. It was a case of head down, bum up and a few weeks of frantic time management and workload juggling. As soon as all of our Summer assignments were complete, we pushed froward to create a functioning MVP (minimum viable product) of our beard app which we completed last week. Still very much a work in progress, it is not fit for public consumption yet but watch this space!
In the midst of such frenetic activity, our summer results were released for the 2017 semester. I was delighted to receive a strong grade (75%) in my UI Design module for my design proposal detailing our app interface aesthetics and functionality. You can check out my final design on Invision here: https://invis.io/AJBOUUSPE
Rejuvenated by my strong grades for the semester and I am again energised and renewed to push forward with our work over the Summer so that we may create the beard-care app within our capabilities. Onwards and upwards peeps!
Version 6.1 for the iOS has been put together at last . I have done a whole series of UI revisions, some of which include a camera shutter button and radial menu layout to encourage more user engagement and discovery.
The location of assets and buttons are designed to optimise the F-shaped reading pattern of most users and the major navigation tools are located within the green and amber zones of the ‘Easy Thumb Reach’ diagram, shown below
Above: Home Screen, F-Shaped Scanning Pattern & ‘Easy Thumb Reach’ Diagram
The app low diagram is shown below to provide a visualised flow path of how a user navigates through the interface to access the product reviews, photo diary and grooming articles with the app.
You can check out the prototype UI on Invision here: https://invis.io/AJBOUUSPE
Above: Application Flow Diagram
We are on Version 6 of our prototype testing already! The feedback so far is giving us fantastic direction and navigational insights. Already drafting V7.1 as I type this (V7 has just been done in Flinto which we are moving away from in favour of Invision App). Two gifs of V6.0 is shown below with an android interface but V7.1 will be an iOS interface as further to development tools and supports open to us, our team have decided to focus solely on an iOS app for release late next year. Loads to do yet so back to the drawing board as it were!
Link to V6.0 on Invision here: https://invis.io/2NBE7OXQ4
College and working life have been very demanding of late so I’ve been pretty bad at updating this blog. Expect a series of updates in the coming days!
I am delighted to say that I finally got the opportunity to build my first app, albeit a basic framework, in jQuery last month. The design brief centred around a DIT student use case that focused on accessing a personal timetable and the ability to edit module settings. The jQuery model allows for these functions and nothing else – most of the buttons are dead links with the potential for further development had the brief and time constraints allowed.
Check out my code on github here: https://github.com/brendanfeeney/grangeMobile
The App UI
We’ve begun building our first prototypes for testing! It’s very exciting. Hoping to test users this week for feedback on app name, navigation mechanics and basic colour responses to the app. That last one is gonna be tricky to quantify.
We’ve just put together our first prototypes on Invision as we want to do some AB testing right away. All feedback and comments welcome on this blog too. Join in everyone.
Prototype 1 can be found here: https://invis.io/NXAIF3O3D
Prototype 2 can be found here: https://invis.io/7KAJFD7CX