We had a fantastic tête–à–tête in class last Friday with everyone grouping together in threes to brainstorm storyboards for aspects on how our apps could function. We mined so much good information out of that 2 hours session that we will definitively be pursuing that method of idea generation again. It was so good. There were post-its and markers all over the place. Even our humour got the best of us and a thoughtless joke spawned the name for our app – ‘Filthy’. We are focusing on the male hygiene domain right now and hope to produce an app that focuses on facial care and grooming for a male audience.
We have spidergrams coming out of our ears right now as to where this app could go in terms of functionality and UI but for now at least, feast your ideas on some of our scribbles from our ideas session.
The masters project idea pitches have began in earnest yesterday. We learned loads taking in all the varied ideas and concepts that our classmates put forward as the beginnings of an app or game for their masters proposal.
As a member of ‘Brendana’; the twosome team of Dana and I, we put forward an idea for a facial care app that would document and simplify the skin care and grooming processes for end users. We presented a short 3 minute presentation on our idea and got a lot of helpful feedback from our tutors on the scope of this early idea.
We are now actively exploring ways to narrow our scope and find our target audience to begin more focused user testing. We have already started testing the storyboard sketches we presented yesterday.
Smiles all round as it’s full steam ahead for now. Here’s a copy of the full presentation we showed at yesterday’s sprints:
I have built my first website and it is a responsive one – hooray! Before I provide the link I should make it clear that this was a joint assignment for two of my modules in college – both the design and coding aspects of the course. The brief from each module had different requirements but they wanted both to be addressed within one website design. This is essentially a sample of what the website could achieve but it is not a complete build – there are dead links and buttons that lead nowhere so don’t expect everything to operate fully. It does however give a pretty could idea of how everything works and how a user could navigate the site. Take a look at the site on github and let me know what you think:
This is a website for a fictional clothing website and though it broke my heart putting it together it was ultimately a very enjoyable and rewarding experience. I love getting that live feedback once you tweak some code and things start coming together – it is instant satisfaction! I feel I have definitely found my calling.
You will also notice that the Apparel X logo design ties back into my earlier posts on logo design and branding. Looking forward to doing more on this next semester.
In late December, I got to put together the promotional game for our group’s rhythm action game to add more visual information on the game’s Google Play page. I love playing around with audio and visual tricks in the abode suite so this was another fun assignment. Using some screen recordings of gameplay, I pulled the visuals together using Premier Pro, After Effects, Illustrator and Photoshop.
Our game is available on the play store now at:
Once in awhile I get to do something for a friend that doesn’t involve grading or college deadlines. I sing as part of Gloria, Dublin’s Lesbian and Gay Choir who turns 21 in 2017. To celebrate, we are holding a Gala Dinner in March and as part of the subcommittee I gave myself the job of putting together the A4 invite we are publishing to advertise the event at our Christmas concert on Decemeber 16th (today).
The invitation had to be formatted for several print and online versions which gave me a great excuse to get my hands dirty with illustrator again! I am finally getting to grips with what this software can do and man is it aweseome. Check out my invite below – hope you like it.
I love style tiles, its so much fun pulling colours and images together while trying to create a cohesive whole. I’ve just finished this one for a website project I have to complete, hopefully putting the website together will be just as enjoyable!
I’ve been spending my afternoon trying to come up with stylish fonts to help establish a tone for logo of a fictional clothing brand, Apparel X. After testing out half the fonts on my PC and scribbling furiously in my sketchbook, I believe I have at last come up with a logo with a strong presence and simple appearance. The final logo will appear in a style tile which is the beginnings of a website design I will be working on over the next two week for my Design Practice & Authoring Principle assignment. For now, check out the variety of text and image I experimented with today….