Version 6.1 is here!

Version 6.1 for the iOS has been put together at last . I have done a whole series of UI revisions, some of which include a camera shutter button and radial menu layout to encourage more user engagement and discovery.  

The location of assets and buttons are designed to optimise the F-shaped reading pattern of most users and the major navigation tools are located within the green and  amber zones  of the  ‘Easy Thumb Reach’ diagram, shown below

Above:   Home Screen,  F-Shaped Scanning Pattern & ‘Easy Thumb Reach’ Diagram

The app low diagram is shown below to provide a visualised flow path of how a user navigates through the interface to access the product reviews, photo diary and grooming articles with the app.

You can check out the prototype UI on Invision here: https://invis.io/AJBOUUSPE

UI

Above:   Application Flow Diagram

 

Grange Mobile App

College and working life have been very demanding of late so I’ve been pretty bad at updating this blog. Expect a series of updates in the coming days!

I am delighted to say that I finally got the opportunity to build my first app, albeit a basic framework, in jQuery last month. The design brief centred around a DIT student use case that focused on accessing a personal timetable and the ability to edit module settings. The jQuery model allows for these functions and nothing else – most of the buttons are dead links with the potential for further development had the brief and time constraints allowed.

Check out my code on github here: https://github.com/brendanfeeney/grangeMobile

Screen Shot 2017-04-27 at 21.22.26

The App UI

Storyboard Workshop

We had a fantastic tête–à–tête in class last Friday with everyone grouping together in threes to brainstorm storyboards for aspects on how our apps could function. We mined so much good information out of that 2 hours session that we will definitively be pursuing that method of idea generation again. It was so good. There were post-its and markers all over the place. Even our humour got the best of us and a thoughtless joke spawned the name for our app – ‘Filthy’. We are focusing on the male hygiene domain right now and hope to produce an app that focuses on facial care and grooming for a male audience.

We have spidergrams coming out of our ears right now as to where this app could go in terms of functionality and UI but for now at least, feast your ideas on some of our scribbles from our ideas session.

sketches

Pitch 1: The beginnings of an idea

The masters project idea pitches have began in earnest yesterday. We learned loads taking in all the varied ideas and concepts that our classmates put forward as the beginnings of an app or game for their masters proposal.

As a member of ‘Brendana’; the twosome team of Dana and I, we put forward an idea for a facial care app that would document and simplify the skin care and grooming processes for end users. We presented a short 3 minute presentation on our idea and got a lot of helpful feedback from our tutors on the scope of this early idea.

storyboardWe are now actively exploring ways to narrow our scope and find our target audience to begin more focused user testing. We have already started testing the storyboard sketches we presented yesterday.

Smiles all round as it’s full steam ahead for now. Here’s a copy of the full presentation we showed at yesterday’s sprints: