The summer has rolled around super fast this year, I cannot believe that we are almost at the end of June already! A whirlwind trip to Australia at Easter for my best mate’s wedding was soon forgotten as I arrived back home to a backlog of college assignments and demanding work hours at my part time job to pay the bills. It was a case of head down, bum up and a few weeks of frantic time management and workload juggling. As soon as all of our Summer assignments were complete, we pushed froward to create a functioning MVP (minimum viable product) of our beard app which we completed last week. Still very much a work in progress, it is not fit for public consumption yet but watch this space!
In the midst of such frenetic activity, our summer results were released for the 2017 semester. I was delighted to receive a strong grade (75%) in my UI Design module for my design proposal detailing our app interface aesthetics and functionality. You can check out my final design on Invision here: https://invis.io/AJBOUUSPE
Rejuvenated by my strong grades for the semester and I am again energised and renewed to push forward with our work over the Summer so that we may create the beard-care app within our capabilities. Onwards and upwards peeps!
Version 6.1 for the iOS has been put together at last . I have done a whole series of UI revisions, some of which include a camera shutter button and radial menu layout to encourage more user engagement and discovery.
The location of assets and buttons are designed to optimise the F-shaped reading pattern of most users and the major navigation tools are located within the green and amber zones of the ‘Easy Thumb Reach’ diagram, shown below
Above: Home Screen, F-Shaped Scanning Pattern & ‘Easy Thumb Reach’ Diagram
The app low diagram is shown below to provide a visualised flow path of how a user navigates through the interface to access the product reviews, photo diary and grooming articles with the app.
You can check out the prototype UI on Invision here: https://invis.io/AJBOUUSPE
Above: Application Flow Diagram
We are on Version 6 of our prototype testing already! The feedback so far is giving us fantastic direction and navigational insights. Already drafting V7.1 as I type this (V7 has just been done in Flinto which we are moving away from in favour of Invision App). Two gifs of V6.0 is shown below with an android interface but V7.1 will be an iOS interface as further to development tools and supports open to us, our team have decided to focus solely on an iOS app for release late next year. Loads to do yet so back to the drawing board as it were!
Link to V6.0 on Invision here: https://invis.io/2NBE7OXQ4
As a member of the committee organising Gloria’s 21st Gala Dinner, I was thrilled to be asked to do the illustration work for the social media and print campaigns promoting the event to date. We have put loads of images up on facebook, twitter and instagram, but to see my work in print has been the biggest delight of all. I just had to share it here to mark the occasion. As much as I love the digital sphere, you just can’t beat the look and feel of a physical paper artefact in your hands. Bliss. And a little bit of pride too.
We’ve begun building our first prototypes for testing! It’s very exciting. Hoping to test users this week for feedback on app name, navigation mechanics and basic colour responses to the app. That last one is gonna be tricky to quantify.
We’ve just put together our first prototypes on Invision as we want to do some AB testing right away. All feedback and comments welcome on this blog too. Join in everyone.
Prototype 1 can be found here: https://invis.io/NXAIF3O3D
Prototype 2 can be found here: https://invis.io/7KAJFD7CX
The masters project idea pitches have began in earnest yesterday. We learned loads taking in all the varied ideas and concepts that our classmates put forward as the beginnings of an app or game for their masters proposal.
As a member of ‘Brendana’; the twosome team of Dana and I, we put forward an idea for a facial care app that would document and simplify the skin care and grooming processes for end users. We presented a short 3 minute presentation on our idea and got a lot of helpful feedback from our tutors on the scope of this early idea.
We are now actively exploring ways to narrow our scope and find our target audience to begin more focused user testing. We have already started testing the storyboard sketches we presented yesterday.
Smiles all round as it’s full steam ahead for now. Here’s a copy of the full presentation we showed at yesterday’s sprints:
I have built my first website and it is a responsive one – hooray! Before I provide the link I should make it clear that this was a joint assignment for two of my modules in college – both the design and coding aspects of the course. The brief from each module had different requirements but they wanted both to be addressed within one website design. This is essentially a sample of what the website could achieve but it is not a complete build – there are dead links and buttons that lead nowhere so don’t expect everything to operate fully. It does however give a pretty could idea of how everything works and how a user could navigate the site. Take a look at the site on github and let me know what you think:
This is a website for a fictional clothing website and though it broke my heart putting it together it was ultimately a very enjoyable and rewarding experience. I love getting that live feedback once you tweak some code and things start coming together – it is instant satisfaction! I feel I have definitely found my calling.
You will also notice that the Apparel X logo design ties back into my earlier posts on logo design and branding. Looking forward to doing more on this next semester.